Please note: This is an updated course to Melanie Hudson’s original course of the same name in response to COVID-19.
ASHA Course Number: ACEF0526
Course Credits: 0.2 ASHA CEUs (2 hours); Intermediate Level, Professional Area
A professional code of ethics provides guidance for speech-language pathologists confronting conflicting information or differing opinions that may lead to ethical misconduct. Participants will be presented with a brief overview of the ASHA Code of Ethics followed by a discussion of examples of ethical misconduct, with specific focus on those confronting school-based practitioners. Participants will discuss common types of ethical complaints, the process of solving ethical dilemmas, learn to identify supportive resources when facing ethical dilemmas, and how and when to report ethical violations.
Melanie W. Hudson, M.A. CCC-SLP, is the National Director at EBS Healthcare, ASHA Fellow, and Distinguished Fellow of National Academies of Practice (NAP). She served on ASHA’s Board of Directors as Chair of the Speech-Language Pathology Advisory Council (2016-2018), the Board of Ethics, and the Board of Special Interest Group Coordinators. Melanie’s publications include “Professional Issues in Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology, 4th edition” (Lubinski & Hudson; Delmar, Cengage Learning, 2013; Plural Publishing, 2018), and 5th edition (Hudson & DeRuiter, 2019, Plural), chapter author for “The Clinical Education and Supervisory Process in Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology,” (McCrea & Brasseur, Slack, Inc., 2019). She served as President of the Georgia Speech-Language and Hearing Association and on the Georgia Board of Examiners for Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology. Melanie was a candidate for ASHA’s President-elect for 2021.
Financial Disclosure: Other than being paid as an employee of EBS Healthcare, Melanie has no other relevant financial relationships to disclose.
Non-Financial Disclosure: Melanie has no other non-financial information to disclose.
Following instruction, participants will be able to:
- Describe the purpose and function of a professional code of ethics.
- Explain at least two common ethical dilemmas using case studies.
- Describe the process of solving an ethical dilemma.
- 15 minutes: Ethical Standards: The “what” and “why” and Overview of 2016 ASHA Code of Ethics
- 50 minutes: Common Types of Ethical Complaints with Case Studies and COVID-19 Considerations
- 15 minutes: Ethics Terminology
- 30 minutes: Ethical Dilemmas: How to Avoid; Finding Guidance; Reporting Ethical Violations; Sanctions
- 10 minutes: Questions/Discussion/Wrap-Up