PT Course Number:
Course Credits: 0.25 (2 hours 30 minutes)
The purpose of this course is to provide an understanding of the ethical issues that pediatric based physical therapists, physical therapy assistants, occupational therapists and occupational therapy assistants may face in regards to working in the pediatric setting. The course focuses on defining the moral, ethical, and legal behavior of physical and occupational therapy professionals. The information presented includes the APTA Code of Ethics, Guide for Professional Conduct for the PT and PTA, Standards for Professional Conduct for Physical Therapy Assistants, AOTA Code of Ethics, and hypothetical case analysis. Application of a practical and useful Model for Decision Making is included as a helpful tool to use in the pediatric setting. Strategies will be identified to address challenges to each profession’s scope of practice to ensure compliance with ethical and regulatory requirements. Common ethical concerns will be discussed in relation to the pediatric setting.
Financial Disclosure: Other than being paid as an employee of EBS Healthcare, Kristen has no other relevant financial relationships to disclose.
Non-Financial Disclosure: Kristen has no other non-financial information to disclose.
Financial Disclosure: Other than being paid as an employee of EBS Healthcare, Cynthia has no other relevant financial relationships to disclose.
Non-Financial Disclosure: Cynthia has no other non-financial information to disclose.
At the conclusion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Recognize all of the legal rights and responsibilities of physical therapy and occupational therapy licensure as defined by learner’s specific state PT or OT practice acts
- Define the meaning of ethics and explain the various theories that promote ethical behavior
- Recognize principles of APTA’s Code of Ethics/APTA Guide for Professional Conduct and AOTA’s Code of Ethics and apply them to practical situations for PT and OT’s
- Assess the ethical scope of practice issues and apply a Model for Decision Making in pediatric practice.
- Identify strategies to address challenges to each profession’s scope of practice to ensure compliance with ethical and regulatory requirements.
- 30 Minutes Scope of practice: what services we provide and learning activities
- 20 Minutes Ethical Standards: The “What” and “why”
- 20 Minutes Overview of Current Codes of Ethics: OT;PT: The more we are different, the more we are the same
- 30 Minutes Instruction in and practice at Ethical Decision Making
- 30 Mintues Ethical Misconduct and Applications of COEs and RIPS model
- 10 Minutes Case studies
- 10 Minutes Post-test