ASHA Course Number: ACEF0444
Course Credits: 0.3 (3 hours) ASHA CEUs – Intermediate level, Professional area
You have spent the following amount of time in this course:
Please note: Your cumulative time in the course must be greater or equal to the course hours for you to receive course credit. Please make sure to view the video(s) in its entirety.
A professional code of ethics provides guidance for speech-language pathologists confronting conflicting information or differing opinions that may lead to ethical misconduct. Participants will be presented with a brief overview of the ASHA Code of Ethics followed by a discussion of examples of ethical misconduct, with specific focus on those confronting school-based practitioners. Participants will discuss the concept of willful blindness, the process of solving ethical dilemmas, learn to identify supportive resources when facing ethical dilemmas, and how and when to report ethical violations.
Financial Disclosure: Other than being paid as an employee of EBS Healthcare, Melanie has no other relevant financial relationships to disclose.
Non-Financial Disclosure: Melanie has no other non-financial information to disclose.
At the conclusion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Explain the purpose and function of a professional code of ethics.
- Discuss how to avoid several common ethical dilemmas, and where to find guidance when faced with same.
- Identify specific elements of their respective Codes of Ethics to solve an ethical dilemma.
- 15 minutes: Ethical Standards: The “what” and “why” and Overview of 2016 ASHA Code of Ethics
- 45 minutes: Recurring Themes in Ethical Issues
- 20 minutes: Ethics Terminology
- 45 minutes: Group Activity with Case Studies
- 20 minutes: Willful Blindness
- 25 minutes: Ethical Dilemmas: How to Avoid; Finding Guidance; Reporting Ethical Violations
- 10 minutes: Questions/Discussion/Wrap-Up