AOTA Course Number: DLAT085
Course Credits: 0.35 (3 hours 30 minutes)
Practice in a school system presents a unique set of challenges to OTs. Educationally relevant goals and interventions, individualized service delivery models, progress monitoring, and Response to Intervention (RTI) are unique components in the educational environment. To be an effective therapist, these concepts must be integrated within an OT frame of reference. This course provides an overview of the educational system, legal requirements that impact FAPE and how OTs can assess and intervene effectively to address student needs. Multiple handouts and videos will be discussed and available for review.
Financial Disclosure: Other than being paid as an employee of EBS Healthcare, Linda has no other relevant financial relationships to disclose.
Non-Financial Disclosure: Linda has no other non-financial information to disclose.
Financial Disclosure: Other than being paid as an employee of EBS Healthcare, Cynthia has no other relevant financial relationships to disclose.
Non-Financial Disclosure: Cynthia has no other non-financial information to disclose.
At the conclusion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Describe the role of OT as a related service in the school system
- Describe the IEP process and identify the top ten procedural and content reminders, and how to include these into legally compliant IEPs
- Understand the referral and assessment process
- Explain how to develop efficient and effective documentation strategies for assessment and intervention adhering to best practice and district policies
- Define and discuss various service delivery models and the impact of culture and collaboration among educational team members on student outcomes
- 30 Minutes IDEA and CCSS overview
- 30 Minutes Roles and responsibilities
- 15 Minutes Assessment
- 50 Minutes IEP process and PLOP/PLEP rewrite activity
- 15 Minutes Response to intervention
- 15 Minutes Intervention: Service Delivery Models and rewrite goals activity
- 15 Minutes Summary: Tips and strategies handout
- 10 Minutes Post-test