ASHA Course Number: ACEF0537
Course Credits: 0.25 ASHA CEUs (2.5 hours); Intermediate Level
This presentation will give SLPs the knowledge and confidence to use informal assessment measures in their comprehensive evaluation process in order to meet legal requirements, professional standards, district, and community needs. Participants will learn to use a variety of informal assessment strategies, interpreters when necessary, and appropriate documentation for written reports.
Shellie Bader, M.A., CCC-SLP, Director for EBS Healthcare, manages facility partnerships and oversees clinical services to assure the highest quality treatment for children in schools, clinics and the community. She has expertise and proven success in training, building cohesive, goal-oriented teams and in implementing outcomes-based, innovative programs. Prior to joining EBS, Ms. Bader directed and ran school and related services operations for programs in Los Angeles and nationwide, improving service and student success in both the public and private sectors. Shellie is an active CSHA volunteer and currently serves on the Board of Directors.
Financial Disclosure: Shellie Bader is a paid employee of EBS Healthcare. She has no other relevant financial relationships to disclose.
Non-Financial Disclosure: Shellie Bader has no other non-financial information to disclose.
Following instruction, participants will be able to:
Examine and describe various informal assessment measures and how each is a valid component of a comprehensive evaluation.
Explain how to use an interpreter during the administration of informal assessment to maintain validity when evaluating students who are English learners.
Write an evaluation report that thoroughly documents and uniquely describes the strengths and needs of each student when using informal assessment measures.
Identify 3 informal assessment measures and how these strategies lead to more informed goals and services.
- 5 minutes: Introduction
- 5 minutes: Speech-Language Impairment Eligibility
- 10 minutes: The Need for Speech and Language Related Services
- 20 minutes: Low SES, English Learnings and Children with Identified Disabilities
- 60 minutes: Informal Assessment Measures: What are they? How do we use them? Why are they so valuable in our assessment process?
- 30 minutes: Using Interpreters in Informal Assessment
- 10 minutes: Strategies for Successful Assessments
- 5 minutes: Putting It All Together – Learning Activity
- 5 minutes: Questions and Answers