Please note: This course meets the ASHA requirement for continuing education in ethics as well as the Texas speech-language pathology licensure requirement for continuing education in ethics.
ASHA Course Number: ACEF0539
Course Credits: 0.3 ASHA CEUs (3 hours); Intermediate Level
The standards for ethical practice in speech-language pathology are the hallmarks for professional practice. Each SLP should know and understand the standards that govern the profession, in order to make good decisions for the people they serve. This course examines those ethical principles, and the “dos and don’ts” of ethical practice.
Marva Mount, M.A., CCC-SLP has worked in a variety of settings in her 35+ year career, with school-based services being her favorite work setting due to the amazing treatment programs that may be delivered there. Marva has presented at the state and national level on a variety of school-based issues. Marva is a chapter author/contributor to the Fifth Edition of Professional Issues in Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology as well as a contributing author to ASHA Special Interest Group 16 (School-based Issues) Perspectives. Marva was awarded the TSHA Hall of Fame Award for outstanding contributions to the profession in March 2018.
Financial Disclosure: Marva Mount is a paid employee of EBS Healthcare. She has no other relevant financial relationships to disclose.
Non-Financial Disclosure: Marva Mount has no other non-financial information to disclose.
Following instruction, participants will be able to:
- Explain the four Principles of Ethics of the ASHA Code of Ethics.
- Explain the major principles for SLPs working in Texas.
- Describe an ethical decision-making model.
- Apply an ethical decision making model to a variety of professional situations.
- 10 minutes: Introduction/Course in Review
- 45 minutes: ASHA Code of Ethics Review
- 45 minutes: Texas Rules and Regulations – “dos and don’ts”
- 30 minutes: Decision Making Process
- 30 minutes: Case Studies Discussion
- 15 minutes: Questions and Answers
- 5 minutes: Wrap-up