ASHA Course Number: ACEF0466
Course Credits: 0.3 (3 hours) ASHA CEUs – Intermediate level, Professional area
This presentation will give SLPs the knowledge and confidence to use dynamic assessment and other informal measures as part of their comprehensive evaluation process in order to meet legal requirements, professional standards, district and community needs. Participants will learn to use a variety of informal assessment strategies and appropriate documentation for written reports.
Financial Disclosure: Other than being paid as an employee of EBS Healthcare, Shellie has no other relevant financial relationships to disclose.
Non-Financial Disclosure: Shellie has no other non-financial information to disclose.
At the conclusion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Define eligibility criteria for SLI and effectively differentiate between students who are Speech Language Impaired, and those who have other disabilities and need related services support
- Describe Dynamic Assessment and how to utilize this method to identify SLI students or those who need Language and Speech services
- Write an evaluation report that thoroughly documents and uniquely describes the strengths and needs of each student using various Dynamic Assessment techniques and other informal measures
- List 3 new strategies that you will use upon referral and/or during the assessment process
- 4 minutes – Introduction
- 7 minutes – Speech-Language Impairment Eligibility
- 11 minutes – The Need for Language and Speech Related Services
- 18 minutes – Dynamic Assessment
- 30 minutes – Low SES, English Learnings and Children with Identified Disabilities
- 27 minutes – Strategies for Success
- 32 minutes – Assuring a Valid Speech-Language Assessment Report
- 30 minutes – Supporting Educators and Families
- 15 minutes – Mediated Learning Activity
- 10 minutes – Course Test and Review