Course Credits: 4.5 NASP CPDs (4.5 hours)
NASP Domains: Consultation and Collaboration, Intervention and Instructional Support to Develop Academic Skills
This presentation will cover assessment, goal writing, and treatment of fluency disorders in preschool and school-age children. Specific public school issues will be discussed, including IEPs and adverse effect on educational performance.
Lonnie Harris, Ph.D., CCC-SLP, is a speech-language pathologist who earned his Ph.D. from the University of South Carolina. He has spent most of his 38 years in the field working with the pediatric population, focusing primarily on fluency disorders, voice and resonance disorders, oral motor disorders, and phonology. He has worked in the medical, public school, and university settings throughout his career.
Dr. Harris is the past president of the Kentucky Speech-Language-Hearing Association and has served on the board of the Council of State Association Presidents. He has made more than 250 presentations the state, regional, and national levels on various topics and has written The Desk Reference on Assessment Instruments from the Psychological Corporation. Dr. Harris is currently the director for the EBS Healthcare Indiana/Kentucky/Ohio regions, mentoring CFs and SLPs in those and other states.
Financial Disclosure: Other than being paid as an employee of EBS Healthcare, Dr. Harris has no other relevant financial relationships to disclose.
Non-Financial Disclosure: Dr. Harris has no other non-financial information to disclose.
Financial Disclosure: Other than being paid as an employee of EBS Healthcare, Chip has no other relevant financial relationships to disclose.
Non-Financial Disclosure: Chip has no other non-financial information to disclose.
At the conclusion of this course, learners will be able to:
- explain the causes of stuttering to a parent or teacher.
- differentiate developmental disfluencies from incipient stuttering.
- demonstrate the use of a variety of fluency shaping and stuttering modification therapy techniques.
- write 1-2 measurable fluency goals and objectives.
- 30 minutes: What Causes Stuttering
- 5 minutes: Basic Assessment Guideline
- 15 minutes: Standardized Tests
- 10 minutes: Fluency Preschool Screening
- 30 minutes: Fluency Matrix (Rating Scale)
- 15 minutes: Teacher-Parent Interview
- 15 minutes: Fluency Assessment Summary
- 15 minutes: Educational Relevance
- 10 minutes: Contextual vs. Noncontextual Relevance
- 40 minutes: Treatment Strategies—Fluency Shaping
- 30 minutes: Treatment Strategies—Stuttering Modification
- 10 minutes: Determining if Progress is Being Made
- 40 minutes: Writing Measurable Goals