ASHA Course Number: ACEF0518
Course Credits: 0.3 ASHA CEUs (3 hours); Introductory Level, Professional Area
You have spent the following amount of time in this course:
Please note: Your cumulative time in the course must be greater or equal to the course hours for you to receive course credit. Please make sure to view the video(s) in its entirety.
Teletherapy has been a challenge for SLPs during the COVID-19 pandemic, particularly for our students who are more intellectually and/or physically challenged. This course will explore therapy ideas, strategies, and resources for a more engaging virtual therapy experience for our students with these specific challenges. This session will also explore how to successfully write effective language goals for this group of students in
order to maximize progress.
Shelley Hanks, MS, CCC-SLP, currently works in a variety of settings, spending most of her career in Houston ISD. Shelley has mentored numerous clinical fellows and currently serves as a lead speech pathologist for EBS healthcare in Houston and surrounding areas. Shelley specifically enjoys working with low incident populations, as she has a special interest in functional communication. Shelley enjoys low- tech assistive communication and utilizing multimodality interventions.
Financial Disclosure: Other than being paid as an employee of EBS Healthcare, Shelley has no other relevant financial relationships to disclose.
Non-Financial Disclosure: Shelley has no other non-financial information to disclose.
Marva Mount, MA, CCC-SLP, has worked in a variety of settings in her career of 35+ years, with school-based services being her favorite work setting. Marva has presented at the state and national level on a variety of school-based issues. Marva is a chapter author/contributor to the Fifth Edition of Professional Issues in Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology, as well as a contributing author to ASHA Special Interest Group 16 (School-based Issues) Perspectives. At the 2018 TSHA Convention, Marva was awarded the TSHA Hall of Fame Award for outstanding contributions to the profession.
Financial Disclosure: Other than being paid as an employee of EBS Healthcare, Marva has no other relevant financial relationships to disclose.
Non-Financial Disclosure: Marva has no other non-financial information to disclose.
Following instruction, participants will be able to:
- Identify at least five speech/language therapy activities that can be utilized virtually for more intellectually and/or physically challenged students.
- Identify at least five speech/language therapy resources/strategies that can be utilized for more intellectually and/or physically challenged students.
- Write a SMART goal for speech services for a more intellectually and/or physically challenged student.
- 15 minutes: Introduction
- 45 minutes: Choosing engaging speech/language activities for intellectually and/or physically disabled students for teletherapy services
- 45 minutes: How to get support from family members/caregivers during teletherapy activities
- 30 minutes: Resources for use in speech therapy provided through teletherapy
- 30 minutes: Writing SMART goals
- 15 minutes: Wrap-up and questions